What Are the Best Pillows For Breastfeeding?
If you've decided you want to breastfeed your baby, there are ways to make the process a little smoother for both you and your little one.
There's a long list of equipment you'll likely want to invest in, from a good breast pump to a comfortable nursing bra to soothing nipple cream. And, although it's not necessarily considered a must-have item, many breastfeeding mums advocate having a baby nursing pillow on hand for feedings.
A nursing pillow, otherwise known as a breastfeeding pillow, is a specially designed pillow to aid in your comfort while you nurse your baby. Unlike a regular bed pillow, they come in a few different shapes designed to help with holding the baby, allowing feeding parents to relax, and assisting in the baby’s breast latch.
Why Do You Need a Nursing Pillow?
Here at CuddleCo, we know that finding a comfortable position when breastfeeding is a lot harder than it looks.
A nursing pillow can help make this easier. Not only can a nursing pillow ease the strain on your back, neck and arms during epic meal times (who knew they could be hungry?), but it also makes your baby super comfy, supporting them, snuggling them, securing them and giving them the extra height they might need to latch on properly. While seated, prop the nursing pillow around your waist and lay baby across it for easier access to your breast.
The decision to use one should be based on what you prefer, and your comfort level with them. It is entirely possible to use a pillow for only part of the process as both your and your baby’s bodies will be changing through the time you decide to breastfeed.
The best pillows for breastfeeding can provide a lot of relief for your aching back both during pregnancy and once your baby arrives. They can also be used by parents who are not breastfeeding, as they can provide support to when bottle feeding, as well as facilitate baby tummy time, to keep you sitting comfortably and more.
How to Choose the Best Nursing Pillow For You?
Nursing pillows are available in many different shapes, styles and designs. So before you order the first one you come across online, remember: they are not all created equal. The fit, shape, firmness, care instructions and extra bells and whistles can differ greatly from one pillow to the other.
Here are a few features you might want to consider before buying a nursing pillow:
- Shape. This will probably come down to preference. Some nursing pillows are U-shaped or C-shaped to snuggle against your stomach, while others wrap all the way around your waist. You might find certain styles to be more comfortable than others.
- Height. If you’re using it for breastfeeding, it needs to be the perfect height for your baby to find a proper latch. If it goes up too high or too low on your midsection, it won’t work. You need to find that just-right medium.
- Material. Removable, machine-washable pillow covers will make cleaning your nursing pillow much easier. Some support pillows are crafted from GOTS certified organic cotton, so you can rest easy knowing there are no nasty chemicals or dyes against your baby’s skin.
- Versatility. Some larger support pillows can be used for so much more than nursing. Finding one that grows with your baby is definitely a plus.
- Position. If you have nursed in the past, or have already discovered your preferred baby hold, then look for those pillows that allow you to continue with what is most comfortable for you and baby.
Our Top Three Nursing Pillow Picks
To help you find the best nursing pillow that’s best fit the needs of you and your baby, our experts have rounded up the three top support pillow picks from the CuddleCo support pillow range:
Mother&Baby Organic Cotton Feeding and Infant Support Pillow: This compact U-shaped pillow for breastfeeding and nursing is here to make it easier for both of you. It wraps comfortably around your body, adapting to your shape to provide a safe, comfortable place for your baby to rest and relax as they feed. Even better, as your baby grows, the pillow works brilliantly as a sitting support and tummy time pillow too.
Mother&Baby Organic Cotton Support Pillow and Wedge Set: The Mother&Baby Organic Cotton Wedge pillow is a great way to support your growing bump while you’re pregnant, helping you stay in a safe and comfortable sleep position and get some much-needed shut-eye. It is also the perfect aid once your baby arrives, wrapping comfortably around your body, adapting to your shape to provide a safe place for your baby to relax as it feeds.
Mother&Baby Organic Cotton 6ft Deluxe Body and Baby Support Pillow: Getting a good night’s rest when you’re pregnant can be a challenge, but creating the right sleep environment can help. That’s where this pillow comes in: it’s well-cushioned to give you the support you need. And we’re particularly proud of the organic cotton cover. And hold on to it when your baby arrives: it works brilliantly as a feeding support system. For an even longer pillow, see our 12ft Deluxe Body and Baby Support Pillow.
Discover CuddleCo’s full range of expert nursing, support and feeding pillows, designed with the comfort of you and your little one in mind. Shop now for free shipping on all orders over £50.